Avoid Locksmiths Scam
They replace the entire lock and not only the cylinder, You pay for a new lock and get a used one they've just recover from the previous call, or start the work without telling you the final price, once finished - you need to get a loan from the bank in order to pay for the 30 min. work
Locksmiths is a great profession, and important one. You need to be able to protect your home / business, and you might need us in emergency situation when you are locked out of your car/home/office.
We take proud on our profession, but some lcoksmiths give a bad name to the rest of us. A friend called a locksmith to replace a key, I wasn't in the city so she found one in google. The job was simple - replace the cylinder and give her a new set of keys.
The locksmith that came replaced the entire lock, charging 1000$ !!
More over - the job was poorly done, lcoking the door with the new lock was not smooth. She called him the next day - and on the 2nd visit he offered to replace the entire door ! Lucky for her - she called me and I've asked her to wait till I return.
Obviesly the only needed repair was to adjust one of the sockets - 10 min work and everything worked smoothly later on.
So - how do you protect youreslf ?
- Always call a local locksmith - preferebly with a real store at your neigbourhood / city
- Try calling in work hours and not in the night - technicians tend to bump the prices on late night calls
- Always check with 3 locksmiths for an estimated price before you choose one.
- Ask the technitian to open the new cylinder / lock in front of you - make sure it comes in original box, and the origin is legit
- Call Us - Phone advices are FREE
For local service (up to 20 min response) Call:
New York, NY